Don’t let the cold weather catch you by surprise—prepare your home’s plumbing system for the change in season. Performing a little fall plumbing maintenance now will help your plumbing system to work well throughout the colder months, decreasing the likelihood that you’ll need a mid-winter emergency plumbing repair!
How to Prepare Your Plumbing for Winter in Amarillo
- Get your annual water heater maintenance. Cooler temperatures cause your water heater to work overtime during the cold weather to keep your water hot. Fall is the perfect time to make sure your water heater is working efficiently.
- Seal drafty spots near plumbing pipes. Don’t let cold air seep into your home and freeze your pipes.
- Clean the debris out from your gutters. Rainwater should be able to drain properly so that it cannot freeze in your gutters and cause damages
- Insulate exposed plumbing pipes. Do you have a plumbing pipe that is exposed to cold air? Insulate it now to avoid a frozen or burst pipe later on!
- Shut off the valve to your outdoor faucets. What an easy way to prevent major problems! Also drain the remaining water from your outdoor faucets and then you won’t have to worry about them freezing over the winter.
- Disconnect and bring your garden hoses indoors. Store them inside where they will not become damaged.
If you run into any problems while preparing your plumbing system for winter, contact the Amarillo plumbers with the skills, knowledge, and expertise to get plumbing repairs and installations done right the first time—call Pratt Plumbing!