Preventative Maintenance Will Save You Time, Money and Stress in the Long Run!
We are starting to see some fluctuations in the weather in the area and that means one thing… the change of the seasons is here! Living in the Amarillo TX and Canyon TX areas, we won’t have to focus on our heating systems for a while but we wanted to take a few minutes to talk to you about ways that you can make sure that your plumbing system is in tip-top condition for any type of weather that may be thrown our way. Maintenance is very important when you are dealing with the health and comfort of your home. At Pratt Plumbing, we want to help you avoid any unnecessary problems and stress that can come with your home plumbing system.
Seasonal Plumbing Maintenance:
– Keep your Gutters Clear: Leaves, twigs and other debris have a tendency to get trapped in your gutters and downspouts. If seasonal rain comes, the water could have a problem draining. Take a little time to clean all of the excess debris and materials that have gathered and your gutters will be ready for any rainy day.
– Fix all Outdoor Leaks: Living in this area, we will still continue to use our hoses, sprinklers and other outdoor yard equipment. This is the perfect time of the year to check your faucets and hose connections for leaks and drips which are very wasteful. Do the same for your pool equipment. If you take care of these minor problems now they won’t get worse and you’ll be prepared for next summer.
– Check in on your Water Heater: They are important all year round and people often neglect to check their performance and efficiency. If not working properly, they can be a huge waste of energy and money and can also cause you inconveniences in your home. Check your water heater’s pressure valve. If too much pressure is stored inside of your water heater, harmful damages can occur. Also, flush your water heater tank. Tanks have a tendency to collect sediment and other debris which is bad for plumbing system. The more buildup that collects, the harder your water heater will have to work to achieve the same results. Maximum efficiency will benefit your home in a positive way.
– Test your Sump Pump: It’s always important to make sure it is healthy just in case heavy rain occurs or any unfortunate incident that can cause excessive, expensive water damages to your home. Pumps should be tested twice a year.
◦ HOW TO: Sump pumps each have a float. If there is an outside float…you can access the float and lift it up, like the water would do, the pump should kick on which indicates that it is working. If the float is on the inside…if the sump pit allows for it, you can run water through a hose into the pit to make sure the pump kicks on before the water begins to overflow.
– Check your Thermostat Settings: Make sure it isn’t still set to provide comfort during the heat of summer. As the weeks progress, we will have some comfortable days and some warmer days. Try opening up your windows and letting in a little breeze if it’s nice out. If you prefer the use of air conditioning, make sure that it isn’t set at a lower temp than needed. And if you happen to be going on an extended stay out of town over the fall or winter, you can lower your system to 55 degrees and it will stay healthy and save energy while saving you money.
At Pratt Plumbing, we want to keep your home comfortable and efficient all year round. This time of year is the best for routine maintenance so don’t wait until a problem occurs! Prevent it instead.
We offer Plumbing Services in a variety of different areas – Installations, repairs & tune ups in the following areas, and more: