How to Prevent Problems With Your Garbage Disposal
You might not give your garbage disposal a second thought as you shove plenty of food scraps into the sink and let it do its job. However, just like any other mechanism, garbage disposals require regular maintenance in order to run properly. If you fail to clean it and make necessary repairs, you might end up with a smelly, non-functioning disposal that calls for professional help.
To keep your garbage disposal in good condition, here are some steps to take:
- Run cold (not hot) water while using the disposal. Although you probably use hot water to wash your dishes, cold water is the best at clearing the drain line of debris.
- Occasionally run a disposal cleaner down the pipes to remove any unpleasant odors.
- Avoid putting grease or fat down the drain, which can cause the garbage disposal to clog. Pasta, rice, and other expandable foods are also known to result in blockages.
- Don’t shove too much food waste down the disposal at one time. Instead, break the waste up into small groups, then add a little bit at a time as the disposal runs.
- Only use the disposal on food items. Cramming plastic and other bits of trash down the mechanism is a surefire way to break it.
- Replace your disposal every seven to twelve years, depending on the model. If used frequently, the disposal may show signs of damage or wear after just five years, so be sure to have a plumber evaluate any issues.
If you run into problems with your garbage disposal or want to install a new one, call in a professional like Pratt Plumbing to safely handle the job. The company has been serving the Amarillo area for more than 50 years and is known for its excellent customer service. Whether you’re dealing with a clogged disposal or a leaky faucet, Pratt can handle all of your plumbing needs. Call 806-373-7866 to request a service or speak to a representative today!