Reviewing the Pros and Cons of Tankless Water Heaters
Tankless, or “on demand” water heaters have seen great strides in popularity in recent years. Here at Pratt Plumbing, we are familiar with the pros and cons of tankless water heaters and are eager to share this information, so we can help our customers choose which system is best for them.
Some of the benefits are:
- Easy maintenance
- Tankless water heaters often last longer than traditional tank water heaters and are generally easier and less expensive to fix once installed. Their compact size translates to fewer maintenance issues and can be a great option for today’s busy homeowner.
- Continuous heat
- Because water is heated quickly as it passes through a tankless system, homeowners are not limited to only using the amount of hot water sitting in a tank. Your shower will never go cold because you’ve used up the reserves, which is an attractive quality for customers with larger families.
- Environmentally friendly
- Tankless systems do not waste energy keeping water warm while no one is using it. Not only does this save our natural resources, it also translates to savings on the utility bill. A customer who installs a tankless heater can save up to $40 each month on energy expenses.
The disadvantages include:
- Although tankless systems can be less expensive to run and maintain, their initial cost is higher than a traditional water heating system.
- Tricky to install
- Tankless systems can also be tricky to install on your own. Many household electrical systems must be updated to support a tankless heater, and many municipal gas lines do not supply the necessary BTUs. However, with professional plumbing assistance, these issues are handled.
- Limits to multiple uses
- Tankless water heaters sometimes have trouble keeping up when multiple faucets are in use simultaneously. You may have to plan ahead to use the dishwasher and washing machine at different times in order to see the best results.
Many people agree that tankless water heaters advantages outweigh their drawbacks, and Pratt Plumbing looks forward to working with you to fulfill your water heating needs. Call us today at 806-373-7866 for an appointment.