Pratt Plumbing Doesn’t Want Anything to Ruin Your Holiday Season!
What a wonderful time of the year it is when the holidays come! Everyone is happy, laughing and smiling… until something goes terribly wrong. They always say the best things come when you least expect it. Well, speaking as your local Amarillo plumbing company, the worst things come when you least expect them too! When it comes to your kitchen appliances and your plumbing system during the holidays, it is important that you make sure to take special care.
In Need of ANY Home Repair? Get $25 Off Any Service Call!
After Thanksgiving is one of the biggest times of the year for plumbing problems… and appliance problems. Clogged garbage disposals, overused dishwashers and other breakdowns can take a serious toll on your happy holiday mentality! Listen to your plumbers at Pratt Plumbing and follow these tips to make your holidays less stressful:
– Your dishwasher drains into the same pipe as your sink does so it is important that it isn’t clogged. Try running your garbage disposal before you start your dishwasher to make sure that nothing is trapped inside.
– If the water in your dishwasher starts at a higher temperature you will get cleaner dishes so try running a little bit of hot water down your sink drain before you run your dishwasher.
– The perfect temperature setting for the cleanest dishes is 120°F.
– Try to conserve water and energy by only running your dishwasher when it is fully loaded… and try to load it properly! Stacking your dishes inward and facing down will not only allow more dishes to fit but it will also give you the best clean. A full dishwasher is great but don’t overdo it or your dishes won’t get clean and you’ll have to run it again.
– Pre-rinse selectively. If you are going to use the amount of water you usually do to pre-rinse you are better off just washing the dishes. The quality of dishwashers and dishwasher soaps and detergents right now is high. One night try running a load without rinsing them first. You may be impressed with what you find!
Garbage Disposal Tips:
The following is a list of things that you should NOT put down your drain or you may need a new garbage disposal:
– Liquid fat, oils or greases
◦ If you have oils or greasy liquids, put them in a container and throw them in the trash. If you put them in an old can in your freezer they will solidify for a cleaner disposal.
– Egg shells
◦ Their membranes are stringy and can wrap around the shredder ring. The consistency of the shell can also clog pipes when it is ground up.
– Small or large bones
◦ Hard items can dull your blades or cause your garbage disposal to work so hard that it could potentially burn out.
– Pasta or rice
◦ With water, these foods will expand and can clog your disposer trap.
– Carrots or celery
– Banana peels
– Corn husks
◦ Fibrous foods will wrap around your garbage disposal blade and can cause your motor to stop working.
Other Tips for a Healthy Garbage Disposal:
– To get rid of unpleasant odors after heavy usage, purchase a degreasing product or garbage disposal cleaner… but make sure that it is manufactured by garbage disposal manufacturer.
– After use, run cold water down the drain for about 15-30 seconds to make sure the water isn’t backing up. Many suggest running water down the drain while in use, which won’t damage your disposer, but if waste is already jammed or any particles are already clogged, it is more like a waste of water!
– Try snake drain cleaning every couple of years. This way you can avoid any future problems that may come from the build-up accumulating in your drain. Also, your dishwasher is connected to the sink drain as well so making sure it is clear will guarantee a proper dish wash.
Avoid Drain Clogs with our Toilet Paper Tips:
*Thanksgiving is one of the most popular holidays for problems with the potty paper.*
– Don’t overdo it! Using too much toilet paper is asking for trouble. Be conscious of how much you use so you can avoid a silly, unnecessary stopped drain.
– Where did it go? The faster your toilet paper dissolves, the better it is for your plumbing system. Usually, thinner toilet paper dissolves faster than thicker toilet paper. We don’t expect anyone to perform scientific experiments but if your toilet paper is really thick, you may want to switch to a different type to avoid the need for drain cleaning.
– “Flushable” wipes aren’t so flushable. Although they flush down the toilet, that doesn’t mean they are good for your plumbing system even if the label says so. These little sheets end up clinging to each other and forming large balls of material that won’t dissolve. They are a sewer lines worst nightmare. Be careful what you flush and you could save yourself a lot of money for unnecessary sewer repair and sewer cleaning in the future.
Looking for Employment in the Plumbing Industry?
Don’t let appliance malfunctions stress you out this holiday season! Stay on top of your game and prevent problems before they happen. A little preventative maintenance goes a long way and you will thank yourself in the end. Your wallet will too! When it comes to your local plumbing repair, plumbing installation and plumbing tune up needs, Pratt Plumbing is the Amarillo area master plumber for the job. For any of your plumbing service needs, feel free to Contact Us! We are here to help and make sure that your home is as comfortable as possible this holiday season.
Have a great Thanksgiving!