Expert Garbage Disposal Repair & Installation in Amarillo,TX
The garbage disposal is one of the most misused appliances in the entire home. Few homeowners realize that a disposal is designed specifically to handle food residue rinsed from a plate — not whole chunks of leftovers! Large quantities of food can quickly overwhelm the system and cause an extensive clog. That’s why Pratt Plumbing receives so many phone calls requesting garbage disposal repairs and maintenance.
The good news is that our team has extensive experience repairing and maintaining garbage disposals. If you’ve accidentally clogged your garbage disposal, get in touch with Pratt Plumbing! We can promptly remove any clog and get things running smoothly again.
WE ARE CONSTANTLY SETTING THE STANDARD
Garbage Disposal Installation
When used correctly, the garbage disposal is an invaluable tool. Of course, as with any major appliance, you’ll want to take advantage of professional installation services. Many homeowners try to cut corners and install their own garbage disposal. This often leads to a need for costly repairs, replacements, or additional maintenance services.
Unless you have firsthand experience in the plumbing industry, allow a professional to handle the installation. When you call Pratt Plumbing, we’ll send an experienced technician to your home. He or she will treat you with the utmost respect and courtesy. They’ll answer any questions you have and offer advice on the proper use of a disposal system.
Garbage Disposal Repair
Over time, like any other appliance in your home, your garbage disposal may require repairs. A disposal system may clog or begin to leak through heavy, or improper, use. A leak somewhere in the system may indicate a worn seal. In some cases, we can replace that seal; otherwise, we’ll need to replace the entire system.
If you’re facing a clog, on the other hand, we have tools and materials designed specifically for removal! We can get the job done in no time.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance
Homeowners often forego maintenance and care for their garbage disposal. We merely expect this workhorse situated under the sink to function as intended when we require it. That’s not the case, though. Like any good plumbing system, the garbage disposal needs attention — preferably, professional care.
First and foremost, troubleshooting your garbage disposal isn’t too complicated. Avoiding clogs is typically more desirable than having to fix the system. For starters, be mindful of what you stuff down the disposal. Avoid paper products, potato peels, coffee grounds, eggshells, and grease. To keep the system clean, you’ll want to treat the disposal monthly. Run it frequently while running cold water down the drain. Finally, follow a maintenance plan. Stick to it. If you’re unsure how to maintain the system correctly, give us a call. We’ll send a trained technician to your home on a regular schedule for maintenance tasks!
Garbage Disposal Replacement
Keep your garbage disposal in tiptop shape to avoid repairs and save money.
Here are a few ways to care for your garbage disposal:
1. DO use plenty of water each time you grind up food residue, and keep water running for a few seconds after the disposal is done.
2. DO throw a few lemon or orange peels into your disposal from time to time to help it function correctly – and to make your kitchen smell fresh and clean.
3. DO treat your garbage disposal once a month by sprinkling a ½ cup of baking powder down the drain, then pouring in a ½ cup of vinegar. The mixture will bubble and fizz for a bit as it cleans the disposal.
4. DON’T use bleach to clean your disposal. Bleach is very corrosive and could damage the unit. Plus, it hardens grease, making clogs worse.
5. DON’T put coffee grounds down the disposal, as they will stick to pipes and create clogs.
6. DON’T ever place your fingers or hands into the garbage disposal, even if you think the power is off.